Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Welcome to Alyssa-Land!

Sucking her thumb, hugging Brownie
So a couple of years ago Dennis and I decided that we were emotionally ready to start a family. By then we understood that fretting about whether we were financially-ready was not a good way to gauge our "readiness." It was the emotional part that was important. If we were going to wait until we were financially ready it would be a long time before we could start trying! So one day we just decided - we were ready to try.

Two years later, here we are. Alyssa is 14 months old, walking, babbling, understanding what we say to her, what we ask her, and she's got a mind and personality of her own. I can hardly believe it sometimes. How quickly did we go from that morning when I looked at a stick in the bathroom that said PREGNANT, to today? I'm turning 36 this year and I've never experienced a year that went by so fast as this past year has. And I've got to say, I'm kind of dizzy.

Of all the adventures I've had in my life, this one takes the cake. This one is the most fun, the most emotional, the most overwhelming, the most scary adventure ever. I have never laughed so hard, cried so much, loved with all my heart as I have in the past year. What's amazing about it all... it's just the beginning. She's really only a year old after all!

What new adventures await? How much more will I laugh? How many more tears will I cry? And is it possible for my heart to burst with so much love?

I started this blog so that I could begin to write more lengthily about my reflections on Mommy-hood and my travels in Alyssa-Land. Why Alyssa-Land? Because it's a whole new world I could never have dreamed up on my own. It's a world I get to see through her eyes. I can't tell you how excited I am to explore! I hope you come along for the ride.

3 comments:

  1. France, I'm so proud of you. I had a blog but work related ): so write for many of us, and we'll contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Frances, great start to a blog! This is a fantastic introduction and I enjoyed reading it. I never thought of motherhood as a form of traveling- and "Alyssa-Land" is witty!
    Though my passion lies in the more conventional form of traveling ;-), it's always heartening to see families and happy parents who are very much into their children and raising them well. Happy mothering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Katya: Thank you! I'm glad I started the blog. It's very helpful and gratifying to have a place to record my thoughts and feelings.

    @Jill: Thanks! I'm glad you like it - and what a nice thing to say about my writing. I've seen your pictures from your travels and they are amazing indeed! Keep 'em coming. I'll keep you posted on Alyssa-Land and you keep me posted on the rest of the world! Deal?!

    ReplyDelete